Volume 44, Number 5, 2009ECORAD 2008 - Radioecology and Environmental Radioactivity
|Page(s)||65 - 69|
|Published online||06 June 2009|
Accumulation and distribution of 241Am in the biomass of freshwater plant Elodea canadensis
Institute of Biophysics SB RAS, Akademgorodok, 660036 Krasnoyarsk, Russia
Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
Accumulation of transuranic element 241Am by photoassimilating organs and its distribution in fractions of the biomass of aquatic plant Elodea canadensis have been investigated in laboratory batch experiments. Americium was taken up by apical shoots of Elodea from water. Of the activity accumulated by the shoots, up to 80% of 241Am was detected in the leaves and 20% in the stems. Americium concentration in apical leaves was several times higher than in distal leaves. Of the 241Am activity concentrated in the shoots, 95% was bound to cell walls, membranes and organelles and 5% of the radionuclide was dissolved in cytoplasm. Less than 1% of americium accumulated in the biomass was found in the lipid extract; up to 10% of americium was bound to proteins and carbohydrates; the major part of the radionuclide (about 90%) was registered in the cell wall fraction that mainly contained cellulose-like polysaccharides. Biomass treatment with hydrochloric acid resulted in desorption of about 70% of americium, mostly from the polysaccharides.
© EDP Sciences, 2009
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.